Lawton High School is named after Henry Ware Lawton who was a highly respected U.S. Army officer who served with distinction in the Civil War, the Apache Wars, the Spanish–American War. The original Lawton High School was built in 1909-1910. A new high school was constructed in 1954 and the Lawton High School became the Central Junior high.
Today, Lawton High has approximately 1,400 students in grades 9-12 with a wide range of diversity. We have 160 teachers and staff members.
In 2016 and 2017 Lawton High was recognized, with bronze, as one the Best High Schools by U.S. News & World Report. We are working towards recognition as a State School of Character through Character.org and OKCharacter.org.